Monday, June 3, 2013

Story Time and Summer Reading


It's Monday once again, my friends. And as always that means it's time to reflect on the things that made us happy over the past week. And of course now is also the perfect time to set the tone for a great week to come! 

If you missed my take on LML, you can find it here. If you missed the explanation of LML Monday, you can catch up here


Summer vacation is upon us, and in my house that means we can make a lot more time for reading. I mean, sure, we read every night as part of the kids' homework. But with all of the other stuff going on during the school year, we usually don't have much time for anything beyond that required 20 minutes. 

But summer vacation means weekly trips to the library, exploring new authors and learning new things, and, most importantly, fun fun fun with books!

Story Time
Our local library kicked off the summer by bringing in storyteller Indiana Bones for a fabulously fun-filled story time. He had the whole room full of kids riveted for an hour while he shared his wildly entertaining stories, complete with crystal skulls, one-eyed monkeys, and a talking pet dragon.


If you have kids, I highly recommend checking with your own local library to find out what they offer for story time. (They aren't always this elaborate, but most libraries offer something for the kids.) It's a great bonding experience for you and your kids, and, hopefully, it will help them stay (or get) excited about reading.

Summer Reading
This week also marks the beginning of our library's summer reading program, and the kids are very excited. They each checked out their first eight books over the weekend, so now we can begin tracking their progress as they work toward earning their prizes. Again, I recommend that you check with your own library to see what kind of summer reading program they offer. It's another really fun way to keep the kids busy and excited about reading over the summer.


But the kids aren't the only ones who get excited about summer reading. I'm all over it too. Now that I have a little break from the tight schedule of the school year, I can relax and do a little more reading myself. (Sadly I didn't do much reading during the first half of the year, so now I'm trying to make up for it.)

And to help me keep track of my ever-expanding "to be read" list, I finally started using Goodreads. It's a fabulous site/app, and I don't know why it took me so long to finally start using it. But when I finished a book and realized that I didn't already have another one lined up to read, it occurred to me that "hey - maybe I should actually use this app that I downloaded months ago but never got around to using." So I did. And I fell in love. So there's my last recommendation for the day. If you're a reader, and haven't already signed up with Goodreads, go check it out.


Ok. I shared mine - now it's your turn! Please feel free to leave me a comment and share some of your recent LML moments. Focus on the happy thoughts, and let's all have a great week!

And if you're a blogger and would like to get in on the LML fun, feel free to grab the code and join the blog hop! Your post doesn't specifically have to use the "LML" label (although you're welcome to use it if you'd like, and the graphic that goes along with it.) If you have any kind of happy, positive Monday message that you'd like to share you're welcome to join. The more happy vibes, the better the Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment