Thursday, April 17, 2014

Book Review: The 21-Day Sugar Detox by Diane Sanfilippo

This was an impulse buy, because I saw it on the book table at Costco and I was curious. It turned out to be an interesting (and very quick) read.

In the first section of the book, Sanfilippo starts with a little bit of her personal background, and her struggle with sugar addiction. She then goes through the different types of sugars that we encounter daily, and explains what these sugars do to our bodies, and why it's a good idea to lower our intake of unhealthy foods.

The first section also provides suggestions for how to prepare for the detox. (You can't just decide on a whim to start today. It takes preparation - of your kitchen, and your mental state.) She also gives a look at what you can expect day-to-day during the three weeks of the detox.

The second section of the book provides a meal plan for those who want specific meals laid out for them, and a yes/no foods list for those who want more flexibility. You are perfectly free to create your own recipes, as long as the foods are on the approved list.

The third, and largest, section is filled with recipes, from soups and salads to main dishes, and even snacks and treats. Most of the recipes require a cook that's not quite as lazy as I am in the kitchen, but some of them aren't too complicated.

This book was definitely interesting, and offered some good suggestions. I haven't actually decided yet if I'm going to try the program or not. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure that I have the willpower, especially when I'm also cooking for two kids. (I couldn't expect them to eat that way, and I'm not sure that I have it in me to make separate meals every day.)

Plus, there are two other big things holding me back. One is that you're allowed to drink milk (which I love) but it has to be whole milk (which I'm not sure I could drink. Because... yuck.) The other is that coffee is allowed, but not the creamer. And you already know how I feel about Coffee-mate. I just don't know if I could do it.

Weak excuses, perhaps. But excuses none-the-less. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment