Friday, October 7, 2011

Kindergarten is Awesome

As I imagine many people do, I have some fond memories of kindergarten. Like having contests on the playground to see who could swing the highest, and talking the teachers into pushing us really fast on the merry-go-round. Making shadowboxes so that we could witness our first solar eclipse. And playing Snow White's evil stepmother in our class play - a definite highlight of the year. :)

But I also have to admit that kindergarten was long ago enough that most of my memories have faded by now. It's sad, but that's just the way life goes. The great thing about life, though, is that if you're fortunate enough to have kids, eventually you get to relive kindergarten through them.

Today was the last day of school before Fall Break at my son's school, so his class had their Fall Party. And I was lucky enough to be able to be one of the parent volunteers for the day, so I got to share it all with them. This was the first time I had volunteered in the classroom, and I have to admit that I was a little nervous about being thrust into a room full of five-year-olds. But the kids were great, and I had an absolute blast.

We had pumpkin relay races, and planted pumpkin seeds, and (the most exciting part) we got to open up a pumpkin and explore its insides. None of the kids in my group had ever seen the inside of a pumpkin before, so hearing the "Wow"s and "Oooohhh"s and "Eeeewww"s as they had the entire sensory experience was just priceless.

Like I said, I have memories of my own kindergarten experience. But until my son started school this year, I don't think I really remembered just how awesome kindergarten truly was. Everything is so new, and exciting, and - let's face it - just plain adorable. (Some of the projects they do are just too cute for words.) Sure, it was hard at first to "let him go" when he started school. But I am so very grateful that I get to share the experience with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment