Monday, September 17, 2012

LML Monday - Nice Views, Hide & Seek, and Sunday Brunch

It's Monday once again, my friends. And as always that means it's time to reflect on the things that made us happy over the past week. And of course now is also the perfect time to set the tone for a great week to come! If you missed my take on LML, you can find it here. If you missed the explanation of LML Monday, you can catch up here. 

Nice Views
When I was younger, one of the things that I always wanted in my house was a window over the kitchen sink. (I wanted to be able to look up and see a nice view when I was washing dishes.) I don't know why, but it was just one of those little things that seemed really important.

Over the years I had a couple of apartments with kitchen windows... but all I got each time was a view of the next building. Better than staring at a wall while washing dishes, but not by much. So I was delighted when my husband and I bought our house, and I finally got a decent view from the kitchen sink.


Sure, it's just a back yard. But I have trees that the birds love to visit, and certain times of year the little tree is covered with these really beautiful yellow flowers. It's a little thing, but it does make washing dishes considerably more pleasant, and the view always manages to make me smile.

Hide & Seek
When you live with chronic pain, the world is full of things that you can't do. So eventually you learn to really appreciate any little thing that you can do - particularly when it comes to playing with your kids. I can't run around and play tag. I can't tumble around on the floor, or give them piggy-back rides. But we still find some great ways to have plenty of fun together.

One of their favorite games is hide-and-seek, particularly when I hide. At first I would make it easy for them, "hiding" where they could quickly find me with little effort. But I eventually discovered that the better I hid - and the harder they had to search for me - the more fun they had. And then I learned that the best times are when I jump out and scare them instead of letting them find me. Their jumps and squeals are followed by some of the best laughter I've ever heard.

Sunday Brunch
Between school and work schedules, plus all of the extra curricular activities that come with having kids, there are, unfortunately, not a lot of times when my entire family is actually in the same room together.  I'm sure many of you can relate to this, as I'm sure know how much you have to appreciate whatever little time you do have together.

For us, we decided to make it a point to always have Sunday brunch together. It's the one morning each week that we can all spare the time, and don't have to commit to anything else but each other. Sometimes we go out, and sometimes we make a nice big brunch at home. Sometimes we only have a couple of hours (because Daddy still has to go to work in the afternoon.) But sometimes we can make a day of it, and follow brunch with a trip to the playground, or a movie, or anything else that we can enjoy as a family. It's a fabulous way to end the week!


Ok. I shared mine - now it's your turn! Please feel free to leave me a comment and share some of your recent LML moments. Focus on the happy thoughts, and let's all have a great week!

And if you're a blogger and would like to get in on the LML fun, feel free to grab the code and join the blog hop! (And please be sure to link back here!) Your post doesn't specifically have to use the "LML" label (although you're welcome to use it if you'd like.) But if you have any kind of happy, positive Monday message that you'd like to share you're welcome to join. The more happy vibes, the better the Monday!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE my kitchen sink, but it's really lacking pizzazz. I really need to dress it up and add a bird feeder or two to our back yard. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having the wind chime out there, but I really need to put out a bird feeder too. I'm thinking maybe the kids and I will make one.

      Delete
  2. I have to say that I really miss a kitchen sink window. I grew up with one (though the view was totally mind-numbing), so it is just the way I think it's supposed to be. We had one at our first house (and a nice view to boot), but not at this one. Sadly, this is almost certainly our last home, so I guess I'm destined to be without one. But at least my birdfeeder is positioned where I can see it (just barely) from the place I always sit in the living room, so I get my nature viewing there, while I'm studying, browsing the net, whatever.

    And your Sunday brunch tradition is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I've said, we take our little bits of happiness wherever we can get them, right? If you don't have a good kitchen window, I'm glad you at least have a good "nature viewing" spot somewhere. :)

      Delete
  3. I forgot to link up yesterday but I am loving this week because of this

    http://feistyfam.blogspot.com/2012/09/12-3.html

    Thanks for doing this it is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post! You definitely have a good reason to be happy this week! :)

      Delete