Saturday, November 24, 2012

Acorn Treats


With the most recent holiday, of course, came the latest culinary adventure with my kids. This is another idea that I can't take credit for (saw it on Facebook, as usual) but we had fun with it, so I still wanted to pass it along.

Like most of the things I'm willing to make, the ingredients are simple. Nutter Butter Bites, Hershey's Kisses, and chocolate chips. (Plus a tiny bit of extra peanut butter, which I forgot to get out until after I took the picture.) And because I can't ever just stick to one thing, I also used the pumpkin flavored Kisses and peanut butter chips for some of them, which is how we got the two different colored acorns that you see above.


After the Halloween cookies that we made last month, the kids were ready to dive right in to their job of unwrapping the Kisses.
















They also did a great job of separating the halves of the cookies for each acorn top. Unfortunately, though, I had to do the rest of the assembly. (Working with the peanut butter, and the Kisses, and tiny chocolate and peanut butter chips proved to be WAY too messy and difficult for little hands.) They still got a kick out of watching me put them together, though.

I find it easiest to work assembly line style, so I attached all of the kisses to the cookies first. Typically half of the cookie will get all of the peanut butter when you separate them, so just use a dab of extra peanut butter to attach the ones that come away without.


The last step is by far the messiest. Use another dab of peanut butter to attach the chocolate/peanut butter chips to the top of each cookie. And seriously. I'm not kidding when I say it gets messy. And sticky. You know, because of all the peanut butter. But once you get past all that, you're left with your adorable finished product.


2 comments:

  1. Adorable, alright. And delicious, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're pretty tasty. :) I was a little torn at first, not sure if I was going to have to put these in the "more trouble than they're worth" category. (Mostly because of the mess.) But I think now that I have a little practice at it, they won't be so bad next time.

      Delete