Monday, November 5, 2012

LML Monday - When You Finally Get Answers

It's Monday once again, my friends. And as always that means it's time to reflect on the things that made us happy over the past week. And of course now is also the perfect time to set the tone for a great week to come! 

If you missed my take on LML, you can find it here. If you missed the explanation of LML Monday, you can catch up here.


Almost immediately following the joys of celebrating Halloween last week, most of my attention for the rest of the week was focused on my son, who is sick yet again. (And I'm not exaggerating when I say almost immediately. Before we even made it home from the carnival that night he was coughing and wheezing.) I felt so bad for the poor kid to have to end Halloween that way, but to his credit he handled it like a champ.

It happened very similarly to the way it did in the past. Not feeling very well one evening, getting a little worse the next day, then waking up that night completely unable to breathe. Luckily we had enough experience with these situations that we were able to avoid a trip to urgent care that night, but I did take him to the doctor first thing the next morning.

I know - so far this doesn't sound like a happy story. But trust me when I say that I'm getting there. See, we've been dealing with breathing issues with my son for most of his life. (I can't remember off hand exactly when the first episode was, but I remember sitting with him in the rocking chair while he chewed on the nebulizer mouthpiece. He couldn't have been more than six months old, if that.)

But even with all of the times that he got bronchiolitis and pneumonia over the years, they still never gave us any indication of an underlying cause, or any hope that there was anything we could do to help keep it from happening. Despite my suspicions that there was something deeper going on, I was always assured that children just get sick sometimes, and his case wasn't really all that unusual.

But finally, after getting sick for the third time since August, we were told on Friday that he does, in fact, have asthma. Again, this doesn't necessarily sound like a reason to be happy. Except that it kind of is. Because now at least we have something to work with. (If you've ever dealt with any kind of chronic illness, especially one with an elusive diagnosis, you know what a difference it makes just to finally know what's happening to you.)

I know it's not going to be easy for him (or the rest of us) moving forward, but I am so very grateful that at least now can move forward, with some sense of direction. There are lots of things for us to learn, and changes for us to make, but at least now we know where to look. And as a mom, finding out that there is actually something you can do to help your kid is an unbelievably huge relief.

See. I told you we'd get around to the happy ending eventually. :)


Ok. I shared mine - now it's your turn! Please feel free to leave me a comment and share some of your recent LML moments. Focus on the happy thoughts, and let's all have a great week!

And if you're a blogger and would like to get in on the LML fun, feel free to grab the code and join the blog hop! Your post doesn't specifically have to use the "LML" label (although you're welcome to use it if you'd like.) But if you have any kind of happy, positive Monday message that you'd like to share you're welcome to join. The more happy vibes, the better the Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment