Monday, October 8, 2012

LML Monday - Iced Coffee, Tootsie Pop Ghosts & The Fresh Beat Band

It's Monday once again, my friends. And as always that means it's time to reflect on the things that made us happy over the past week. And of course now is also the perfect time to set the tone for a great week to come! 

If you missed my take on LML, you can find it here. If you missed the explanation of LML Monday, you can catch up here. 

Iced Coffee
Most of you probably know that I'm usually more of a tea person, but I have to admit that lately I've been having a bit of a love affair with iced coffee. (I've even started keeping a pitcher of coffee in the refrigerator just so I don't have to brew it and wait for it to cool whenever the mood strikes.) I'm really looking forward to the days when it's cold enough outside to make me want to curl up with a hot drink. But until that happens, iced coffee is my new best friend.

Tootsie Pop Ghosts
Last Friday my son's class had their Fall party, and as "room mom" I got to plan and organize the festivities. There were plenty of crafts and games and treats, and everything went over pretty well. (I was actually really impressed with how well a room full of 1st graders handled everything.) We all had fun, and there weren't any major problems or messes.

One of the stations that I set up was having the kids make Tootsie Pop ghosts. Anyone remember making these as a kid? I remember learning how to make them when I was in school, and thinking that they were really cute. I wasn't quite sure how this generation would react to them, but luckily I wasn't disappointed.


The kids all seemed to have a great time making and decorating their ghosts. And several of them got really creative with it, which was awesome to watch. But the best part was whenever I told them that I learned how to make these when I was their age. I always got the same response - a very wide-eyed "WOW!" as they tried to imagine how many years ago that must have been. It was adorable.

The Fresh Beat Band
If you have a preschooler, I'd bet that there's a pretty good chance you've had to sit through an episode or two of The Fresh Beat Band. It's silly, and annoying at times, but it's actually not terrible, as far as kids' shows go. I've seen much worse.

Because she loves singing and dancing, my daughter is, of course, a big fan of the show. She does their little dances, and sings along with them. She especially loves the little song and dance that they do at the end of every episode, and she's gotten pretty good at it. It's always very cute to watch.

The other day I happened to walk into the room just as that song was coming on, and about halfway through I realized that I was singing along with it. Sure, I had the initial "just-shoot-me-in-the-head-now" thought that most parents get when they realized that they're doing something like that. But then I realized that, as painful as it might be to admit, I actually kind of like that song.

We had a great day!
It was a super way,
To spend some time together.

We had a great day,
The very best day.
And nothing could be better.

It goes on for a while, but you get the idea. And I realized as I was singing along that I really like how they end every episode singing about what a great day it was. It reminded me of how my kids have had a tendency, for years, to label every day "the best day ever." (If you haven't heard that story, go check it out. It's really cute.) And because of that, I realized that I've grown to respect The Fresh Beat Band just a little more. :)


Ok. I shared mine - now it's your turn! Please feel free to leave me a comment and share some of your recent LML moments. Focus on the happy thoughts, and let's all have a great week!

And if you're a blogger and would like to get in on the LML fun, feel free to grab the code and join the blog hop! (And please be sure to link back here!) Your post doesn't specifically have to use the "LML" label (although you're welcome to use it if you'd like.) But if you have any kind of happy, positive Monday message that you'd like to share you're welcome to join. The more happy vibes, the better the Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I love the tootsie pop ghost:-) my LML is catching up on episodes of General Hospital, writing on my blog 9 days in a row by participating in the blog challenge, time with my family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great week - thanks for sharing!

      Delete