Monday, September 30, 2013

September Holiday Recap (part 1)

This has been a really good month for little random holidays. Unfortunately it's also been an incredibly busy month with no time to share any of the fun things we did for those days. So since today is LML Monday and the last day of the month, it seemed like a perfect day to do a little recap.

September 7th: Salami Day
This was one of those spur-of-the-moment things. I happened to be at the grocery store, and happened to remember that it was Salami Day, so I picked up a package. Of course I had no idea what to do with it, but I wasn't going to let that stop me.

I ended up making a little appetizer out of it, with some Ritz crackers, sliced cheese, and (very mild) jalapenos. Don't know that it's something I'll be making very often (mostly because my son and I were the only ones who liked it) but it was fun to have something new and a little different.



September 8th: Grandparents' Day
My daughter was doing a countdown to this one, thanks to the advertising on one of her cartoon channels, so she was very excited to finally get to celebrate it. We took my mom out for dinner that evening, but first the kids colored Grandparents' Day pictures for her.



September 10th: TV Dinner Day
If ever there was a holiday that didn't need to exist, this just might be it. But part of the motivation behind celebrating all of these little holidays is trying new things. And we never eat TV dinners. (With good reason, as I was reminded when I opened them.) But it was a novelty, so the kids thought it was cool.


And when I agreed to set their table up in the living room so they could actually watch TV while eating their TV dinners, they thought I was the most awesome mom ever.


So we put on an episode of Doctor Who (because my kids are also incredibly awesome) and enjoyed the novelty of eating TV dinners. Quite possibly for the last time.


September 12th: National Chocolate Milkshake Day
The other motivation behind celebrating these little holidays (besides trying new things) is just having a fun excuse to enjoy a special treat now and again. Because chocolate milkshakes are not something we drink very often. But once a year... why not?




September 15th: National Linguine Day
I looked all around for a good linguine recipe but couldn't really find one that I liked, so I just improvised my own concoction. I started with an Alfredo sauce, and added some shrimp, crab, and mushrooms for a really nice seafood linguine. It was very simple, but very tasty.  The kids even gave it a thumbs up.



Ok, we're going to stop here, before this gets any longer. If you want to hear about the rest of our holiday fun this month, tune in tomorrow for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment