Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Treasure Box

My son's teacher keeps a box of toys and trinkets in the classroom, and when the kids do something worthy of a reward, they get to choose something to take home. They call it the treasure box.

This afternoon my son got rewarded with a trip to the treasure box. But instead of picking out something for himself, this is what he chose.


A little plastic ring, perfect for his sister. Such a little thing, but the selflessness of the gesture was huge. And the way it made her face light up was priceless.

He told her, simply, "There was mostly 'girl stuff' in the box, so I got something I thought you'd like." She loved it, of course, and he was rewarded with several hugs and "I love you" reminders all throughout the evening.

They may not always get along like the best of friends. (They bicker from time to time, like all siblings do.) But fortunately the love they show each other far outweighs everything else. And the little moments like this melt my heart every time. This is what being a mom is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment