Friday, August 3, 2012

Joining the Sisterhood

It's Fun Fact Friday time again, and once again today's fun facts are brought to you by a blogger award. This time I was the proud recipient of the Sisterhood of the World Blogger Award. I was honored with this nomination by Dianne at Knitting Galore. Thank you Dianne!
The "rules" for accepting this award are fairly simple. Besides thanking the referring blog, I have to share seven things about myself, and then pass on the award to seven other bloggers. (I love how each award has its own random number of things.) Anyway, here goes:

1. My parents used to own a BBQ restaurant.

In the 80s my family owned and operated Leo's BBQ in the little town of Blanco, TX. I was fairly young at the time, so I didn't do as much work there as my older siblings did, but I will say that it was an interesting place to grow up. And it offered some of the best BBQ that you could ever have hoped to eat.

2. I was president of my chapter of Phi Theta Kappa.


When I attended community college I was heavily involved in the honor society, and had some of the best times of my life while I was there. I met some amazing people and got to go on some fabulous trips to conferences all over the country. And let's not forget the scholarships that I earned thanks to my service. Those were pretty excellent, too.

3. Academic honors are kind of my thing.


I admit it - I'm a bit of an overachiever. It's true. It's not that I always have to be the best, but I do always push my self to do the best that I possibly can. And I was very proud to have graduated from the community college with Highest Distinction, and then to have graduated Summa Cum Laude from the university. It wasn't easy, especially going to school while also being a full time mom to two little kids, but it was important to me, so I did it.

4. I've never traveled outside of North America.


I've been to Mexico several times, and I've been (barely) into Canada. (I visited the International Peace Gardens in North Dakota, and crossed over briefly into the Canadian side.) But sadly I've never had the chance to visit any other countries. It's on my To Do list, though.




5. I love Monty Python movies.


My favorite, of course, is Monty Python and the Holy Grail. It's just a classic, for so many reasons. And has SO many great quotable moments. (The nights who say "Ni"... Bring out your dead... If she weighs the same as a duck....) I could go on, but I won't.

6. I was once (briefly) a member of The Blue Knights.


It was only for a few weeks, but it was still cool. My brother marched with them for several years, and at the end of one summer they suddenly needed someone to fill a very minor role in the color guard. I was there, and could handle the job, so I got it. It wasn't the easiest three weeks ever, but getting to go to DCI Finals totally made it worth it.

7. My heart still belongs to Texas (and probably always will.)


Like they say, you can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl. It's been nearly 24 years now since I was transplanted to Arizona. And while my new home has grown on me to an extent, Texas will always be my first love and true Home.









Now, as far as passing the award on to seven other bloggers... Well, here I'm going to bend the rule a bit. And I'm going to borrow an idea from Kina at Human in Recovery. As she suggested to her readers/fellow bloggers, if it resonates with you and you feel it fits your blog, please take it for yourself, and pay it forward. The way I look at it, a sisterhood shouldn't be open by invitation only. If you'd like to join, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment