Friday, July 27, 2012

A Bright, Sunshiny Me


Today I come to you as a very flattered me, as I once again find Fun Fact Friday coinciding with a blogger award. This time I have been honored with The Sunshine Award, an award given to "bloggers who positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere." And since positively and creatively inspiring people has always been a main goal of mine here, I am thrilled to see that it seems to be working.

I'm doubly honored to have been given this award by not just one but two of my very favorite bloggers - Miss Riki of Refreshingly Riki, and Cheri of Idle Chatter. I know I've mentioned both of them on here before, but if you haven't checked them out yet, please do! (I can't stress that enough. They're both awesome!)

And now for the "rules" of the award:
  • Post the award along with a link back to the person who gave the nomination
  • Answer the questions below
  • Nominate 10 fellow bloggers for the award and link to their site
  • Comment on your nominees' blogs to let them know you're sharing the love with them
Fairly straightforward, right? So here goes:

Who is your favorite philosopher?
Oddly, I don't actually have one. You'd think I would, what with me being all quasi-philosophical and all, but no. I actually don't really know much about any of them. I always really wanted to take a philosophy class in school, but it just never fit into my schedule. I wouldn't mind adding some books on the subject to my reading list, though. If you know of any good ones, please feel free to leave your recommendations in the comments section.

What is your favorite number?
Again, I don't really have one. My go-to number has always been 27. (I never really thought of it as a "favorite" but I guess it's as close as any number comes for me.) It's just the number that always gets thrown out when you have to come up with a random number off the top of your head. Like when you're saying something like "I'm so exhausted I could sleep for, like, 27 hours."

What is your favorite animal?
That all depends on the situation. Favorite animal to own? Fish. (They're fairly low maintenance, compared to most other pets.) Favorite animal to see at the zoo? Monkeys are usually the most entertaining, but I'm also a sucker for panda bears. Favorite animal to eat? Growing up in Texas we were all about the cow, but now I'm more of a chicken person, with the occasional pig. ('Cause, you know. Bacon.)

What are your Facebook and Twitter URLs?
While I do have a personal presence on Facebook, sadly The Bright Side does not yet have a fan page. Nor do I tweet. But now that I'm finally beginning to grow and expand a bit more, perhaps those will be some of my next steps. I'll keep you posted.
Update (as promised): The Bright Side is now on Facebook! You can find my fan page here.
What is your favorite time of day?
Late at night, after the kids are asleep and the house is finally quiet. It's the only real "me time" I ever get.

What was your favorite vacation?
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, October of 2001. My husband and I spent most of the week lounging by the pool or under a beach umbrella drinking margaritas and pina coladas. It was the most relaxed I've ever been in my life.

What is your favorite physical activity?
Over the past year or so I've really bonded with my elliptical machine. It's a great workout, and I always feel incredible when I'm done.

What is your favorite non-alcoholic drink?
Other than water, I probably drink more tea than anything. Sometimes hot, and sometimes iced. It's all good.

What is your favorite flower?
Sorry, but I can't pick just one. I love roses, because they're elegant, and beautiful, and have a lovely scent. But they don't live very long once you cut them, and that always makes me sad. I also love carnations, mostly because of their texture, and because they outlive most other flowers (so the joy lasts longer.) I also absolutely love daisies. If flowers could emote, I think they would be the happiest.

What is your passion?
My kids are at the top of my list, of course. (If you've read any of my previous posts, you probably already know that.) Being a mom is my most important job, and my favorite reason for being. It's exhausting, and sometimes frustrating, but it's always a good reason to get out of bed in the morning.

And now, to pass along The Sunshine Award to some other great bloggers. (I hope you'll check them out too.)

8 comments:

  1. So glad you accepted; I've been enjoying the Q&A posts from everyone.

    I do love monkeys at the zoo (all the monkeys, big and small), but I saw pandas at San Diego one time, and that was amazing!

    And I think I'm a big wuss, because I can't really do any time on an elliptical--too much coordination required, I think. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess technically I should have said apes. The entertainment value definitely isn't limited to the monkeys.

      It really did take a lot getting started on the elliptical. When we first got it I could go for about five minutes, very slowly, before I had to stop. But I kept working on it, and now I typically do 45 minutes to an hour, five or six days a week. It's still not easy, but it does feel good. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I agree... Monkeys are the most entertaining animal at the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    Thank you very much. I recently "accepted" this award, so if you are interested in the questions I answered and my pay it forward nominees, you can check them out at http://humaninrecovery.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/2012-awards-season-sunshine-blog-award/.

    I also would encourage you to Award yourself http://humaninrecovery.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/award-yourself-and-pay-it-forward/
    Be well,
    Kina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw your post right after I posted this. But your blog is always worth sharing, so I stand by my decision to put you on my list. :)

      Delete
  4. I like that this one has an actual "reason" for giving the award. I will certainly join in! Thanks!
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post - thanks for accepting the award! :)

      Delete