Friday, July 12, 2013

Be Silly Now and Then


One of the big truths about kids is that they never have to be reminded to be silly. They'll pretty much do it all the time, no matter what (and whether you want them to or not.) It's basically their default setting.

Adults, on the other hand... we sometimes need reminding. Or at least encouraging. I think that sometimes we get so busy with our adult responsibilities that we forget the importance of silliness. Thanks goodness the kids are here to show us the way.

Last night after I finished washing the dinner dishes I walked into the kids' playroom to find my son getting a ride on my husband's back. (My husband was a horse, naturally. But somewhere along the way he turned in to an At-At Walker. It was a logical progression somehow.)

Of course I did the only thing I could - shot down the At-At, saved the rebels, and then became a mermaid and went for a swim with my daughter. (What would you have done?) With all of the laughter and goofiness, it was one of the best, most relaxing evenings I've had in a long time.

So next time you start feeling like too much of a grownup, and the pressures of adulthood start getting you down, just take a break. Have a little fun. Do something silly. I think you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment