Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Don't Judge A Movie By Its Title


For the sake of full disclosure, I have to say that when I first saw the trailer for the movie Epic, I didn't think much of it, and really had no desire to see it. In fact, my first (admittedly cynical) thought was that when you give a movie a title like that, you're just setting everyone up for disappointment.

From the time that it opened, I heard people talking about how great it was, but my kids had never expressed any need to see it, so I didn't feel obligated. But as summer vacation wore on, and temperatures remained in the "stay inside or die" range, we started looking for things to do and decided to give Epic a chance. And I'm so glad that we finally did.

I'm still not convinced that the title was completely appropriate, but it was definitely a great movie. Visually, it was stunning. It was fast-paced and engaging, for the kids and the adults. There were several different story elements working together, but the messages weren't overdone, like some kids' movies tend to be. It was funny, and sweet, and exciting, and just an all-around feel good movie.

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. And hurry, because it will be making its way out of theaters soon, and it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen. (Even if you don't have little kids to take with you, go see it anyway. Nobody will judge you.) It's a great movie. And it was a good reminder to not be so judgmental and dismissive, just because I don't like the title they gave it. Lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. I love animated films! I'll have to add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete