Thursday, July 18, 2013

How to Not Give Good Customer Service

My husband and I took the kids out this evening for some family fun at one of the community pools. When we were done we were starving (of course) so we hit up the Wendy's that was right across the street. And it wasn't necessarily the best idea we've ever had.

The food was fine, for the most part. But the service... that was a different story. I was dealing with the reality of the incredibly slow people working behind the counter. (And I'm not making a reference to their mental capacity here. They all just moved incredibly slowly.) But as sad as it is, that's pretty much par for the course in any service industry these days, so we've all gotten used to it.


So no, that wasn't what bothered me so much. What got to me was when I finally reached the counter. The kid asked what he could get for me, and I got as far as "Can I have..." before the kid just walked away. Not a word. Just turned, walked (slowly) to the back, got the food for the people in front of me and (still slowly) brought it back to the counter for them.

After a minute or two he finally came back, mumbled "sorry about that" and asked again what he could get for me. I paused for a moment to make sure he would stay this time, and then finally got to place my order (and eventually we got our food.)

I know that good customer service doesn't come naturally to everyone, but seriously?! However sad this service might have been, though, in the end I just have to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. Because you kind of have to. If you can't laugh at stuff like that, it'll eventually start to get you down. And who needs that?

2 comments:

  1. Wendy's is the absolute worst for customer service of any fast food chain--it is that way every place, every city we have ever gone to. So sad, because I kinda like their burgers--but not enough to put up with their attitude!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a friend of mine that was with us made a comment about this being the worst service ever, and I had to tell her that, sadly, it wasn't even the worst Wendy's I've ever been to. I don't know why, but being slow and rude and getting orders wrong seems to be standard practice for Wendy's any more.

      Delete