Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Searching for Truth

As I mentioned once before, I kind of have a thing for Josh Gates. Mock if you must, but there's just something about him. (And now I know that I'm not alone. Don't believe me? Google "Josh Gates is hot" sometime, and see how many freaky fan sights and forums you find. And pictures. Lots and lots of great pictures.)

Anyway... I was understandably excited when I heard that Destination Truth was returning with all new episodes tonight. And of course, as I have a habit of doing lately, I started thinking more deeply about the show, and pondering some of life's more philosophical questions.

If you haven't seen the show, the premise is that Josh and his team travel all over the world searching for "the truth" about all sorts of mysterious animals/creatures that people have claimed to encounter. They do the whole serious investigative thing, researching the thing's background, talking to experts, interviewing witnesses, and then going out into the believed habitat with lots of expensive equipment and attempting to make contact.

Now, I've never actually seen an episode where they find any proof of anything that they are looking for. (They closest they've come, I think, is having some "unexplained" experiences.) But the show is still immensely entertaining. They're silly, and like to have fun, and they do good-naturedly poke some fun at some of the things they encounter - mostly the food and accommodations they have to deal with.  

But what I really like is that even with all of the joking and silliness, they still, for the most part, seem to take the investigations completely seriously. No matter how outlandish the claims may seem, Josh still interviews the witnesses with what at least appears to be complete honesty and interest in their story. And he and the team members always seem to be completely open to the possibility that they might actually encounter the Moroccan Succubus or the Guam Zombies (both of which were actual investigations.) 

How many of us could actually say that we approach life with that kind of open-mindedness? How quick are we to dismiss something just because it sounds "weird" or unbelievable? Do we go through life really wanting to know the truth about things, or are we happier using our preconceived notions to shield ourselves from anything that might be different or foreign to us? 

I may not be jetting off to any exotic locations any time soon, and I may not physically be up to some of the harrowing adventures that they have. But I hope that I can learn to be more like them, and always keep an open mind when it comes to the unknown. I think that will make it much more likely that I will recognize the truth - whatever it may be - when I see it.

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen the show, but I have to say, it sounds like you've taken a nice message from it. I like to think I'm like that I'm mostly open-minded--with both weird/outlandish things and people in general. Just today, my husband saw a man walking down the street dressed in a very old-fashioned way (proper suit, hat, pointy shoes), and mentioned that he looked like a time traveler. I said, "oh, I want to see a time traveler", and craned my neck to see him before we drove away. (I wanted a pic, but couldn't get it.) Hubby was amused that I could entertain the idea that the guy might actually *be* from another time, but I say, stranger things have happened!

    Thanks for the reminder that we really don't know it all, and shouldn't go walking around like we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheri. Very well said. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who likes to entertain fantastic possibilities.

      Next time you see a time traveler, I hope you can get a picture. :)

      Delete
  2. What a great post Melissa. I watch that show too. It has a combination of scary moments and hilarious moments too. I love your analysis of the show and the life lesson you found in it.

    ReplyDelete