Saturday, July 21, 2012

More Quirky Drivers

Last year I wrote a post about those annoying drivers that can't seem to handle the idea of people getting in front of them. While I still don't agree with that way of thinking, at least I kind of get the motivation. (Some people have to be first, and can't stand the idea of anyone else being in front.) But yesterday I actually had someone do the exact opposite (but equally ridiculous) thing to me. And I completely don't get it.

The guy next to me had been pacing me for quite some time. I didn't give it much thought, until I saw my turn coming up and needed to get into his lane. Since there was nobody behind him, and since I had no reason to be one of those people who has to speed up just to get in front, I let off the gas a bit so I could start slowing down to get behind him. (The polite thing to do, right?)

But apparently my politeness was misplaced, because the guy kept pacing me. (I swear I'm not making this up.) So after a little while I took my foot completely off the gas so I could slow down a little more rapidly. I had to turn, after all. But yes, the car next to me still stayed right next to me. Finally I had to actually hit my breaks in order to slow down enough to get him to pass. As soon as he passed I moved over behind him, and I bet you'll never guess what he did. Yep. He sped up. Zoomed ahead, actually.

And all I could say was, "... Seriously?!" Not only do some people have to be so competitive as to not let anyone else even appear to have an advantage, but it also seems that there are those who just don't like the idea of other people getting what they want or need, regardless of whether or not it affects anyone else at all.

What drives people to this way of thinking? I have no idea. But it does make me sad to think of someone actually spending energy to make someone else's life more difficult for no other reason than just to be difficult. I mean, the saying "live and let live" may have become a cliche, but it does have a point. We don't always have to get involved in others' lives. But when we do get involved, shouldn't it be with the hope of making their lives better, rather than more difficult? I'd sure like to think so.

6 comments:

  1. I don;t drive, but at least once a day I see someone do something that makes me go "... Seriously?!" and honestly, it's either drivers or pedestrians, neither of which seem to know how to follow rules that were put into place for their own safety... ugh, don't get me started. LOL

    But you are right - we shouldn't get involved in everyone's lives unless we intend to make things better, not worse.
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe me - I could go on and on, too. :) You know that saying "rules are made to be broken"? That always bugs me, because I think "Um. No. Most rules are made to keep you safe!" Only the stupid ones should be broken. ;)

      Delete
  2. I’ve nominated you for the Fabulous Blog Ribbon Award, because I enjoy your FABULOUS Blog. http://myinspiredlifewithfibromyalgia.blogspot.com/2012/07/fabulous-blog-ribbon-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! You write a wonderful blog, and I'm flattered to be recognized on your list.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, there's a lot of morons out there. It's like everything is a race for them. It's irritating and childish. I had someone do that to me a couple weeks ago and I just kept thinking "Really, you have nothing better to do? Like pay attention to the road?" I need to mount a speaker system to my car like cops have. Oh, that would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought that, too. There are times when you just REALLY need to say something to that moron in the other car. :) But yeah, most of the time I just try to get over it and move on as quickly as I can. They're wasting enough energy for us both by playing their games.

      Delete