Thursday, July 19, 2012

Big Brothers


Sure, sometimes they're a pain. Sometimes they spit in your hair, or trick you into thinking that the remote control only works when you're standing up. (You know who you are!) But despite all that, I still maintain that big brothers are pretty great to have.


And once again, my kids have managed to illustrate my point perfectly. Just as we were getting ready to go out today my daughter got tangled up in her feet and fell down, smacking her knees right on the tile floor. She screamed. She cried. She swore that she was "never going to be able to walk again!" She's fine, of course, but it was all very dramatic.

Luckily her big brother was right there. He tried all of the usual comforting techniques first (giving her a sympathetic hug, offering to get her an ice pack) but nothing was working. Then he moved on to the comedic route, which usually does the trick. Unfortunately the jokes didn't even work this time. So he moved on again.

I've never seen him do it before, and I don't know what inspired it, but my six-year-old son proceeded to perform an entire slap-stick routine, complete with hilarious pratfalls, all over the living room. It took less than a minute of it for his sister's sobs to turn into laughter, but he kept going for several more minutes (obviously enjoying the laughs as much as I was.)

I've always said that every girl should have a big brother. I feel so blessed knowing that my daughter has such a great one.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed, you've got a lucky little girl. My brothers are step-brothers, so I didn't really get to grow up with them; I think I missed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have them now, though, right? My brother and I always got along pretty well, but we're even closer now that we're adults.

      Delete
  2. My brother and I fought all. the. time. But if I ever needed a big brother, he was always there. Ü

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my brother and I had our moments (and my kids do too) but when it comes right down to it, sibling love usually trumps everything else.

      Delete