Tuesday, July 17, 2012

When Good Things End

My son has been going through this phase lately where as soon as he is done with something, his first reaction is "I want more!" Depending on what it is, sometimes there is more to be had and there's no reason not to, so I can accommodate. Other times the answer is no. Those times are not as easy.

So we've been working a lot lately on the idea of appreciating what you have (or have had) rather than being upset that you don't (or can't) have more. It's not the easiest concept to understand when you're six, but to his credit he's really making an effort.

Fittingly, I was reminded just last night that I need to take my own advice, as I watched the series finale of Eureka and had to say goodbye to one of my favorite shows. It's been a good five years, but apparently the Syfy channel had to make room for more shows about lost things and haunted places, so Eureka had to go.

I am, like many others, sad to see the show end. It was smart, and funny, and quirky, and a heck of a lot of fun, and I would have loved to see it go on for at least a few more years. But it's not the first good show to be cancelled before its time (Ah-hem... Firefly, anyone?) nor will it be the last. Sadly, that's just the way things work.

Sure, I'm sad that something I loved has come to an end. It's a natural reaction. (As soon as your vacation is over, don't you wish it could have lasted longer? After a fun night out with your friends, don't you wish you could do it again tomorrow?) Nobody likes to see the good things end.

But we can spend our time being upset that it's gone, or we can choose to focus on being glad that we had it while we did. Like I suggested to my son just this afternoon... instead of being upset that Grandma can't stay and visit longer, how about if we be happy that at least she got to join us for lunch? (Luckily he agreed, and we were able to happily go about the rest of our day.)

It's ok to be sad when something you love ends. It's ok to be disappointed. But try not to be one of those people who lets the disappointment overwhelm the entire situation. Instead, try to appreciate the good times that you had, and remember that there will be more good times to be had in the future.

If a six-year-old can do it, we can too!

9 comments:

  1. I love this post! It reminded me of my favorite Dr. Seuss quote: “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

    The only time I disagree is when it comes to ice cream. There is no good way of looking at the bottom of an empty bowl of ice cream. *smile*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Dr. Seuss could say it more succinctly than I could, but yeah, that was what I was going for. (Good quote!)

      And yes, I suppose ice cream might be the one exception. ;)

      Delete
    2. Miss Riki,
      I like your Dr. Seuss quote. I need to remember this always. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post and a terrific reminder. Gratitude can change your outlook so often. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding me to be grateful and full of gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, and a perspective we should all strive to remember. It's too easy to let the disappointment of being done with something good overshadow the truly great memories of having done it to begin with.

    BTW, slightly off-topic, but I just saw today that Best Buy has the complete Firefly blu-ray set available for twenty bucks, if that's something you might be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheri. It really is easy to let ourselves fall into that way of thinking - that's why I'm making a real conscious effort to remind myself (and those around me) to always focus on the good.

      Oh, and I haven't upgraded to blu-ray yet, but I do have the Firefly set on DVD. :)

      Delete