Monday, July 23, 2012

LML Monday - Cloud Pictures, Flowers, and Flax Seed

Welcome to the latest installment of LML Monday! (If you missed my take on LML, you can find it here. If you missed the explanation of LML Monday, you can catch up here.)

Cloud Pictures
I don't know about you, but I've always loved finding pictures in the clouds. It's fun, and relaxing, and a good exercise for your imagination. And of course my kids love doing it too. (I don't think I've ever met anyone with imaginations like theirs.)

I remember the first time my son pointed out a cloud picture. He was barely over a year old, and hardly talking at all, but one day as we were out driving he started yelling "Piggy! Piggy! Mommy, piggy!" I couldn't do much while I was driving, so I started asking questions to try to figure out what he was talking about. Finally I got him to explain "Piggy in sky!" And sure enough, there was a cloud pig outside his window.

I was recently reminded of this, as I often am when the kids start pointing out the latest pictures they see. As we were driving yesterday my daughter suddenly said "Mommy, look - the cloud is making a duck. Or maybe a rhinoceros." Because, you know, the two are often confused. But finally she decided that it was actually a new creature with the body of a dinosaur and the head of a duck with a rhino horn on its beak. And the best part was, that made perfect sense. :)

Flowers
Flowers are pretty, and they always make me smile. And it really makes me smile whenever I look out at the front of my house and see that all of the bushes are blooming (including this one, with the beautiful purple flowers.)

The summer in Arizona may be miserably hot, but at least we have plants that are adapted to it. And I never realized it until they started blooming, but there are a lot of these plants used in the landscaping in our neighborhood, and throughout the whole town. So I get to enjoy these lovely purple blooms wherever I go.


Flax Seed
There has been a lot of talk in recent years about the health benefits of flax seed. And while I can't necessarily verify any of those specific claims personally, I can say that I've really noticed a difference in how I've been feeling since I added it to my diet. 

For the past week or so I've been adding ground flax seed to my yogurt at breakfast. (While it's true that it doesn't change the flavor, it does change the texture. That takes a little getting used to, but it's really not that bad.) And I noticed almost immediately that this little addition has made a huge difference in my appetite. I've felt much more satisfied after breakfast, which left me less hungry throughout the day, and much less prone to snacking. This, in turn, has made me feel better, which has made me much happier.

I'll definitely be looking for new and exciting ways to add this to my diet. If anyone has any favorite recipes or tricks, please feel free to share!

4 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I love your LML concept. I came across it a while back, but forgot to follow your blog. Sometime recently, your blog came back to my attention and I added you to my reader (I hate email so don't usually subscribe). I actually look forward to Mondays at this point in my life. The weekends are kind of hectic and Monday is a time to regroup and get back into the swing of things.

    By the way: Tag! You're it. http://humaninrecovery.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/games-bloggers-play/
    Blessings,
    Kina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kina! That really means a lot to me. And I'm so glad to hear that I picked a good day with LML Monday! That was my hope when I started it, so I'm over the moon to hear that it's working like I intended.

      And thanks for the tag - I look forward to having a chance to sit down and pass it on. I love the idea, and that it's pressure-less! ;)

      Delete
  2. I really need to look into this flax seed thing; I keep hearing people say nothing but good things. Problem is, I'm very much a meat/potatoes type of eater, and nothing like yogurt, so I'm not sure what I can put it in. Maybe a fruit smoothie. Must research.

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Sunshine Award because I enjoy your blog. You can check out today's post for the details and to accept your award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried putting the flax in a smoothie yet, but I've heard a lot of people recommend it that way. I tried it in oatmeal for breakfast yesterday and in tomato soup for tonight's dinner, both of which worked really well. (Didn't change the flavor or texture at all.) I'm thinking that probably any kind of drink or food that's thick enough already would hide it pretty well. I'll definitely keep experimenting.

      And thank you again for the award! I really enjoy your blog too. :)

      Delete