Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Some Other Beginning's End

One of my favorite songs in the late 90s was "Closing Time" by the band Semisonic. (Still is one of my favorites, now that I think about it.) It was just one of those songs that came out at the perfect time to really resonate with where I was in my life. I bet you probably have some songs like that too.


Closing time
One last call for alcohol, so finish your whiskey or beer
Closing time
You don't have to go home but you can't stay here

This song always comes to mind whenever something in my life comes to an end. And today marks the end of the current round of the Ultimate Blog Challenge, so of course it's been in my head all day. Today's the day when so many of us are wrapping up our final posts of the challenge, and trying to decide where we go from here.

There have been some conversations among bloggers over the past month about what we will all do when the challenge is over. How much has the daily blogging changed us? Will we keep up the habits we've developed through the challenge, or will we revert to our previous selves?

I have to say that my perspective as a blogger is much different than it was a year ago when I completed my first UBC. When that challenge ended, I lost so much of the motivation that I thought I had gained, and almost immediately slipped back into my very undisciplined sporadic blogging. I think I had kind of burned myself out, and just couldn't keep it going.

I can't say with completely certainty what will happen as I move forward, but I can say that my motivation is different now. And this time I feel like even though it's time to leave this particular part of my life, it doesn't mean that I just have to go back to where I used to be.

So gather up your jackets, move it to the exits
I hope you have found a friend

Community means a lot more to me than it did a month ago. I still haven't had as much time to get as involved as I would have liked, but I have gotten a lot more involved with other bloggers than I ever did before. I've discovered some great people, and some excellent blogs. And I've definitely found some friends.

Closing time
Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Endings can be (and often are) sad. Or scary. Or confusing. Or, at the very least, filled with uncertainty. But like I've said before, it's all about where we choose to put our focus. And if we accept that when one phase of our lives ends it usually just means that it's time for the next phase to begin, it can make things a little easier.

So what do you do when you come to an ending? Do you just "go home" to what's familiar, or do you look for something new? Did you make connections along the way, or did you keep to yourself and miss out on the rewards of new friendships? Do you focus on what's ending, or look ahead to what's beginning?

I for one am happy to be moving forward, and ready to see what new exciting challenges come next. I hope you are too. :)

6 comments:

  1. I must point out that Weird Al does a terrific polka version of this, so every time I hear it now I always wish it was a polka.

    If you want to experience it for yourself you can skip to 3:37 in this YouTube video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yugldxpRDMo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I had forgotten about that. Leave it to Weird Al to make a great song even better. :)

      Delete
  2. I have absolutely loved the ultimate blog challenge and it has given me the chance to make some connections with some awesome people, yourself included.
    I have plenty of blogs I follow now and a few people who are friends as a result. I wont follow a daily blog schedule for the next couple of weeks as it has given me heaps of new ideas to share with my blog readers that I need to sort out and put in place.
    I look forward to reading your blog in future :)

    stay safe and keep smiling :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Keith. This past challenge has been so great, for so many reasons. Can't wait to see how your blog develops. Good luck, and have fun with it!

      Delete
  3. Great post! Thanks for helping us mark and process our feelings about this ending. For me, the Ulitmate Blog Challenge has been intense! Thanks for your positivity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      The UBC is definitely intense, but it I'm SO glad I was introduced to it. It's been an incredible way to meet some really great people. :)

      Delete